Sablefish, known locally as black cod, is a mild-flavoured, flaky white fish. Sablefish have a thin and elongated body that is covered with small scales. It is a part of the Anoplopomatidae family.
The fish is known for the silky textures of its flakes and the buttery sweet flavour. It is rich in protein and can make a filling meal if balanced with proper carbs and fibre.
This fish is used in a variety of seafood recipes. It can be found on the menu of every seafood restaurant out there. However, these sablefish recipes can be easily made at home.
Five Best Sablefish Recipes
1. Sablefish Teriyaki
This simple black cod or sablefish recipe is done by marinating the fish in homemade teriyaki sauce and then baking it till it becomes tender and flaky.
This dish can be prepared in 40 minutes. It is perfect for serving with steamed rice or stir-fried vegetables.
- 8 black cod sablefish (salmon can also be used as substitutes).
- ¼ cups of soy sauce (there is also a gluten-free option if needed).
- 1 tablespoon of finely minced ginger (ginger paste can also be used).
- ¼ cup of rice vinegar.
- 2 finely minced cloves of garlic.
- 1 teaspoon of wasabi or horseradish (whichever is available to you).
- One tablespoon of olive oil.
1.2 Step-by-Step Instructions
- Start by mixing or whisking the following: rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, minced garlic, wasabi or horseradish, and sugar in a bowl. Wisk them together.
- Then, marinate the sablefish in the sauce mixture for at least 30 minutes (for best results, it is always recommended to marinate overnight).
- Make sure to refrigerate while marinating.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- While preheating, brush oil or butter on a baking dish or pan. Sablefish can be large, so ensure the dish is big enough.
- After the marination is done, using your hands, remove the excess marinade from the fish and gently place it on the greased pan.
- Apply a little of the excess marinade on top for more flavour.
- Slide the pan into the oven and start the cooking process. Remember to wear gloves to prevent accidents.
- Cook the sablefish on each side for 10 minutes or until the cod easily flakes apart using a fork. These fishes are delicate, so do not flip them halfway through cooking.
- While the sablefish cooks, pour the excess marinade on a saucepan and cook it over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, then lower the temperature (remember to keep mixing the sauce while it cooks to prevent burning).
- Remove the sauce from the heat and keep it aside.
- Once the cod is cooked thoroughly, please remove it from the oven.
- Serve it on a plate, brush the teriyaki sauce over it, and sprinkle some sesame seeds for flavour.
2. Sauteed Sablefish with Ginger-Soy Glaze
This recipe combines the sweet flavour of the sablefish with the savoury glaze to give it a perfect contrast.
The dish is usually ready in 30 minutes. It is best served with ramen noodles or steamed rice.
- 4 pieces of black cod sablefish fillet.
- 3 tablespoons of honey.
- 3 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce (regular soy sauce can also be used).
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil.
- 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar.
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger.
- 1 clove of minced garlic.
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (as per taste preference).
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil.
- 2 thinly sliced green onions (both the green and white parts).
- One packet of ramen noodles (or any thick noodles).
2.2 Step-by-Step Instructions
- Mix honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, and minced garlic in a bowl.
- Then, in a baking dish, place your sablefish after patting them dry with a paper towel.
- Add the seasoning mix and cover it adequately. Cover the baking disk, and let the fish marinate in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- After that, remove the fish from the extra marinate and add salt and pepper.
- In a frying pan, add cannoli oil and heat it. Once the oil is hot, add the fish fillets gently to the pan. Cook them on each side. If the outside turns slightly brown, then turn to another side. Remember, these fishes are delicate and need to be handled carefully.
- Add the excess marinade to a saucepan and cook it at medium heat till the sauce starts to thicken (it should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon).
- Finally, to assemble, place the ramen noodles on a dish and the fillet above it. Brush the fish with the sauce and garnish it with sliced green onion.
3. Miso Marinated Sablefish
This sablefish recipe is a simple dish that is inspired by Japanese cuisine. This simple dish combines the deep flavour of miso with buttery fish to give it the perfect taste.
It is best served with rice or stir-fried vegetables.
- 4 black cod sablefish fillets.
- 3 tablespoons of sake.
- 3 tablespoons of marin.
- ½ cup of white miso paste.
- ⅓ cup of sugar.
3.2 Step-by-Step Instructions
- Start by preparing the marinate. To do that, add sake and mirin and stir until they boil; do this on high heat in a small or medium skillet. Boil the mixture till it is reduced to one-third.
- Then add miso and stir till it is cooked and dissolved (do this over low heat)
- After that, turn the heat up and add sugar, stirring constantly to prevent burning. Once the sugar is dissolved entirely, remove the skillet from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Using the marinade, mix the fillet and keep it in the refrigerator for 1-2 days (2 days is recommended for better results)
- After that, wipe off the extra marinade from the fish and broil it in the oven until the outer layer turns golden brown on both sides (each side will take about 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish)
- Alternatively, you can grill it as it adds a smoky flavour to the fillet.
4. Pan Roasted Sablefish With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
This delicious recipe is perfect for your dinner with some white wine. It combines the simple flavour of the fish with the spicy sauce to make it tasty.
- 4 fillets of black cod sablefish.
- 1 jar of roasted red bell pepper.
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar.
- A pinchful of red pepper flakes if you prefer spicy.
- 1 clove of garlic finely minced.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt and pepper.
4.2 Step-by-Step Instructions
- Start by preheating the oven to 450 F . Pour oil into a frying pan and heat it on a high flame.
- Once the oil is heated, put the fish delicately in the hot pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn it to the other side and let it cook for another 4 minutes.
- Put red peppers with two tablespoons of water in a jar for the hot pepper sauce.
- Add minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and red pepper (after removing the water) and blend them until a smooth paste is formed.
- Taste and add extra seasoning accordingly.
- Spread the sauce on the plate and serve the fish above it. Garnish with dill and a thin wedge of lemon, and you are done.
5. Simple Baked Sablefish
The simple baked sablefish is perfect if you are looking for a simple yet delicious dish. This dish is ready to serve in 30 minutes with its simple ingredients.
It is best served with sides of steamed vegetables, roasted potatoes, or a fresh salad.
- 4 black cod sablefish fillets (salmon can also be used as an alternative).
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- A teaspoon of fresh herbs (such as thyme, oregano, or dill; it is best to use mixed Italian seasoning).
- 2 cloves of garlic that are finely minced.
- Adequate salt and pepper to taste.
- Thinly sliced Lemon wedges for serving.
- Fresh parsley, cilantro, or dill for garnishing (completely optional).
5.2 Step-by-Step Instructions
- Start by preheating your oven to 375 F or 190 C.
- Follow by lightly greasing the baking dish, which can be done by brushing olive oil or butter on the dish. Even if butter paper is used, it needs to be greased.
- Rinse the fish fillets thoroughly under cold water, then pat them dry with a paper towel to reduce excess moisture. It helps with developing crispy skin when baked.
- Next, in a small bowl, combine the following ingredients – olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, dried herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Place the fish on the basking sheet and pour the marinade over it.
- Let the sablefish sit with the marinade for 15 minutes at least (it will taste better if allowed to marinate more).
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven (be careful using cooking gloves so your hands don’t get hurt by mistake).
- The fish will start to cook and take around 15 minutes. However, the timing depends entirely on the thickness of the fish.
- To check if the fish is thoroughly cooked, insert a fork into the fillet. The fish is cooked if it goes in and comes out without any problem.
- Take out the baking dish with the cooked stable fish (be careful to use baking gloves as the dish will be hot).
- Once removed from the oven, let it rest for a few minutes.
- Now, you have to serve the baked sablefish with thinly sliced lemon wedges, or you can directly squeeze the lemon wedge and then serve.
- Garnish it with dill, parsley, or cilantro, and you are done.
- Enjoy your delicious baked sablefish.
Sablefish can be an excellent ingredient to cook with. It is not just rich in taste but also has several nutrients like sodium, potassium, proteins, vitamin C, iron, and carbohydrates.
Following these super simple recipes, you can have a restaurant-quality meal at home with simple ingredients. These recipes are perfect even for an amateur and can easily be prepared at home with a little bit of time on hand.
Try one of these sablefish recipes for an easy, nutritious, and flavourful meal at home.