Yellow beans, or yellow wax beans, belong to the same family as green beans. They lack chlorophyll that turns green beans green. They can, therefore, be substituted by one another easily.
Yellow beans are rich in protein and fibre. They are also a rich source of micronutrients like calcium, iron, potassium, and vitamins A and C.
6 Best Yellow Beans Recipes You Need to Try Out
Yellow bean recipes go well with any meal. They are simply outstanding as a side dish and go with various words.
1. Sauteed Yellow Beans
This sauteed yellow wax beans recipe cooked with butter, olive oil, and minced garlic is a simple yet delicious side for any meal.
- Yellow wax beans (green beans can be used as an alternative).
- Olive oil.
- One clove of minced garlic.
- Salt as per taste.
- Pepper as per taste.
1.2 Step-by-step Instructions
- Heat butter and olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- After trimming the yellow beans, add them along with minced garlic to the pan.
- Sautee the whole until the yellow beans turn golden brown and become a little tender.
- Season with salt and pepper at the end (this is to avoid excess water).
- Serve them in a serving bowl (remember to scrape the pan properly as the crispy bits add charm to the dish).
- Serve and enjoy!
2. Spicy Yellow Beans With Shallots And Lemon
As the name suggests, this simple dish blends yellow beans with shallots and lemon.
This dish gets ready within 15 minutes, and this dish is not a side but a main dish and can be eaten as a single meal.
- ¾ lb of yellow wax beans (green beans can be used as an alternative).
- One large shallot – sliced accordingly.
- One clove of garlic, finely minced.
- ¼ – 1 teaspoon of dried red chilli flakes (according to your spice tolerance).
- One lemon, thinly sliced.
- ½ tablespoon of Olive oil.
- Flaky salt (you can also use sea salt).
2.2 Step-by-step Instructions
- In a large skillet, add some olive oil and let it heat up over medium heat.
- Add the yellow beans, shallots, garlic, and chilli flakes.
- Once sauteed till golden brown, add the salt according to taste preference.
- Add a small amount of water to the pan and cover it with a lid.
- Let the beans be cooked for 3-5 mins.
- Once the water is dried, add lemon juice and serve.
3. Warm Yellow Wax Beans in Bacon Vinaigrette
This yellow beans recipe blends a salad and a side dish to be served warm but with many fresh vegetables.
- Two pounds of yellow wax beans trimmed (green beans can be used as an alternative).
- Thickly cut bacon that is cut into a lardon.
- Three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil or butter.
- Two tablespoons of sherry vinegar.
- Ten Ounces of cherry tomatoes that are halved.
- ⅓ of chopped fresh basil.
- One small shallot, finely chopped.
- Two cloves of finely minced garlic.
- Kosher salt as per preference.
- Freshly grounded black pepper.
3.2 Step-by-step Instructions
- Boil the beans in a large pot of salted water until they become tender, which usually takes around 5 mins.
- Drain the beans and rinse them with cold water.
- Dry them with a kitchen towel and transfer them to a bowl.
- Then heat some olive oil in a skillet and add bacon to it. Cook over medium heat till golden brown for 7-8 mins.
- Once done, remove the skillet.
- Add vinegar, tomato, shallot, garlic, and basil in a large bowl.
- Scrape the bacon vinaigrette over the beans.
- Season with salt and pepper along with chopped parsley, and serve warm.
4. Yellow Beans in Garlic and Tomato Sauce
This yellow beans recipe is perfect with almost any meal and goes great with white wine.
- Two lbs of trimmed yellow wax beans (green beans can be used as an alternative).
- One onion that is washed and diced.
- ⅓ cup of avocado oil (any other oil can be used).
- One peeled and diced carrot.
- 2 ½ teaspoons of oregano.
- Two teaspoons of tomato paste.
- Salt according to preference.
- One tablespoon of all-purpose flour.
- 2 ½ cups of hot water.
- Fresh herbs like dill for garnishing.
4.2 Step-by-step Instructions
- Wash the trimmed yellow wax beans.
- Saute your diced onions on medium-high heat in a pot till they become translucent.
- Add the yellow beans and stir gently.
- Followed by adding other ingredients.
- Add enough water to the pan to cover the beans, cover the pot, and let it come to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue stirring once it is boiled.
- Add ⅓ cup of dill and serve warm once the sauce thickens.
5. Yellow Beans with Mint
This simple recipe of wax beans with fresh mint is a delicious and refreshing combination for the summer.
- Eight ounces of yellow wax beans (green beans can be used as an alternative).
- Several mint leaves.
- Two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Kosher salt.
5.2 Step-by-step Instructions
- Crush a few mint leaves in a mortar and put them in a small jar after adding two tablespoons of olive oil to cover it.
- Let that sit for one hour at least.
- Cut the trimmed yellow wax beans in half and add them to a steamer basket over boiling water.
- Cover with a lid and cook them for 10-15 mins
- Drizzle the mint-infused olive oil over the beans.
- Sprinkle some salt for taste and garnish with fresh herbs
- Your yellow beans with mint already!
6. Yellow Beans With Garlic and Basil
This recipe is ideal for a summer picnic and goes well with bread and mashed potatoes.
- One pound of yellow wax beans (fresh green beans can be used as an alternative).
- Two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Three cloves of garlic, minced.
- ¼ cup of thinly sliced basil.
- Salt and pepper as per taste.
6.2 Step-by-step Instructions
- Boil water in a large pot and add the trimmed wax beans. Let it cook for two minutes, remove them using a filter, and then put them into an ice bath.
- Put your skillet over medium-high heat, add some olive oil, add minced garlic, and cook for about a minute.
- Drain the cooled wax beans, add them to the pan with the garlic, and toss them until it is coated with oil and garlic.
- Remove from heat and add salt and pepper along with basil.
- And serve warm!
With these recipes in your arsenal, don’t be afraid to grab some yellow beans on your next grocery trip! You can also find them at your local farmers’ market. Thanks to these yellow bean recipes, you can easily include this “superfood” in your diet.
Following these simple yet yummy and flavorful recipes, you can easily make restaurant-quality food at home. So go ahead and try these delicious recipes for your dinner today!